In undergrad I learned about Marxism, Communism, Feminism, Islam. We read the SCUM Manifesto (Society for Cutting Up Men), the Cyborg Manifesto, and learned about the heroic intellectuals of the Frankfurt School.
I regurgitated explanations of these Marxist theories to prove to my professors that I did the readings and understood the material because my grades depended on it. But I also accepted these ideologies as 'facts' because I was a naive kid. Years of public school and the desire to be 'cool' had punctured a hole in my self-esteem, allowing my faith to slowly leak out without my detection. These ideologies were like air, and I was like a balloon; eventually I popped from living them to their ultimate conclusion.
Flash forward ten years: Marxism is the common denominator for all social work theories too! (So they claim!) The only difference is that nowadays there is a mega emphasis on the racism of white people, mostly cis white conservative christian people.
My professors are all well meaning people with good hearts and a misguided political/moral bent towards the losing Left. They've been brainwashed too....they are just as naive as I was (though they definitely did not make the life choices based on Marxist ideology like I did).
It is ironic. The reason I went back to grad school specifically for Social Work was to learn how to apply practical methods of repairing and reversing the destructive trends of so-called 'Progressivism.' I am not surprised (just disappointed) that I am (again) paying to learn all the glorious forms of Marxist inerrancy; the exact attitude that brought our society to this brink of the cliff in the first place!
...I am here for the same good reasons as my peers. Except this time I have the chance to show my professors that I did the reading, understood the material and found it to be fake and gay.
No comments:
Post a Comment