On June 14, 2019 I wrote a scathing entry on this blog regarding the uselessness of psychologists. Fourteen months later I am in school to become a Social Worker. (That post reminded me of listening over and over and over to a '30 Seconds to Mars' song that I claimed to "hate.") So, what happened?
Simply put, a lot. (Too personal to post bluntly and publicly.) But briefly (and obviously): there is a Culture War, and I have chosen a side.
What follows are current responses to past excerpts:
^^^Ok, ok, in retrospect I was describing myself back in high school, when I did not yet realize that I'd joined the wrong side in the lead up to War. SO MUCH SO did I want to go back in time to change my past, but Time doesn't work that way, and I couldn't admit an interest in pursuing the next best thing: stopping kids from making the same mistakes."There are certain types of people who do not need medication and could benefit from psychology, like troubled high schoolers. Troubled youth fit two criteria for psychology to have a positive affect:
- they have bad friends and don't know it
- they don't respect their parents enough to take their advice"
"A psychologist might be the role model they need only insofar that the troubled youth are trusting enough to be honest about their feelings. Then they can accept guidance while they talk themselves out of their own problem *if* they have a value system. (The psychologist cannot provide them with a value system if they lack one; another reason it is bullshit.)
^^^This is the brief job description of a Social Worker working with at risk youth, not a psychologist. (I did not know that Social Work attainable profession because I had not reconciled myself to return to Graduate School when I wrote this.) Both professions have a Code of Ethics (value system).
"Talking through a problem is helpful. Talking to a good friend is more helpful. A good friend does not need an advanced degree to offer good advice because they have an understanding of the troubled person and equally importantly, context. They know the troubled person well enough to offer tailored advice, and might be respected enough to humble the troubled person enough for them to listen to unsolicited advice."
^^^Yeah, well, just because they are friends does not mean they can give good advice. A person with an advanced degree in human behavior and psychotherapy with a trauma specialization can give good advice however.
"No psychologist, no matter how advanced their degree, can will someone to listen. Only money can do that. Then again, anyone that offers advice in exchange for money and time cannot be trusted to care for you the same way that a good friend can, and does."^^^Thus is the human condition. But you are still paying them to try, and with their expertise they will do their best, if their patient is willing to be serious.
"Good advice shouldn't cost money. Confession, after all, is free."
^^^Confession is a sacrament. Not everyone is religious, let alone Catholic. For a conversion to take place, hearts need to change, which takes time. Broken people can be guided towards conversion when their hearts have softened enough to listen. Thus my role in the War ;)
Opinions change. I like having written mine down so I can publicly hold myself accountable.
No comments:
Post a Comment